[RTTY] What bugged me in 2010 RTT RU

Dick Kriss aa5vu at arrl.net
Tue Jan 5 12:29:58 PST 2010

On 1/4/10 10:54 AM, "Susan King K5DU" <susan.k5du at gmail.com> wrote:

>                    ARRL RTTY Roundup
>
> Call: K5DU
> Operator(s): K5DU
> Station: K5DU
>
> Class: Single Op HP
> QTH: Texas
> Operating Time (hrs): 24

> ------------
>   80:  171
>   40:  573
>   20:  912
>   15:  103
>   10:    0
> ------------
> Total: 1759  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 10  Total Score = 188,213

Wow!! What a score.

> Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club
>
> Comments:
>

> Many great operators work RTTY but I do not understand why some
> ...operators...send...so...many...dots....

I have no idea what software package even suggest using the dots.  I see
them all the time on PSK31.

The item that bugged me was the operators that failed to use a space in
between calls and then use a dash in the reports.  For example, I would
see K9LIDK9LIDK9LID without a space and it was hard to mouse select
the call.  Then the reports saying 599 IL-IL were just as bad.  Some were
sending 599 IL-IL IL and that was okay because you can select the IL.

Congrats Susan.... very nice work!

73 Dick AA5VU

Ps: Bill W6WRT.... very nice effort. Thanks for the Q¹s.  Back in my
motorcycle days there was an Iron Butt ride.  Your 2010 RTTY RU effort
would qualify you for the Iron Butt run .