[RTTY] Re BoB VE6YR SK

David Montgomery w7ww at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 7 07:00:09 PST 2010

I'm sorry to hear about Bob.

Many years ago he and Marg spent their winters about a mile away
from me in Yuma, AZ. I was a relatively new ham at the time, and
one day Bob came over and was trying to talk me into trying RTTY.
I told him I wasn't really interested. but he was persistent, and
finally talked me into it. The next day he brought
over a pk232 and his copy of WF1B. We got it hooked up and made
one or two casual RTTY contacts. Bob mentioned that there was a
RTTY contest the next day, and suggested that I get into it.

When the contest started the next day, it turned out to be the
WAE contest, complete with QTC's, probably the most complicated
of any contest! The whole scene was almost out of control for the
entire duration, but I think I won first place in W7. I ordered
my own copy of WF1B, and was hooked on RTTY contesting. Bob was
quite amused by the whole thing.

Later, I convinced another Yuma contester, K6LL, to get into RTTY
and then the two of us became the nucleus of the SWACC team,
which has pretty much dominated RTTY Team competition for many
years. So, Bob, do you see what you started?

I hope Marg is doing well.

73

David Montgomery, W7WW
Yuma, AZ