[RTTY] Sound Cards

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jan 20 10:29:58 PST 2010

> I'm wondering if there is any advantage or performance
> improvement to be had with MMTTY and other RTTY programs by
> using a 24-bit PCI card ? Tests done? Charts etc?

SDR operation is a very different paradigm than decoding
the relatively narrow band audio spectrum for MMTTY, etc.
The detected IF noise in the line output of most current
transceivers is well above the noise floor of the run of
the mill computer soundcard and maximum audio level with
AGC is far less than the dynamic range of even a 16 bit
card.

Noise floor only becomes a problem with poorly designed
laptops/motherboards - those that lack proper power supply
filtering and decoupling - when driven by relatively low
level outputs in some transceivers.  It's the "dirty power
supply" issues that are overcome by USB soundcards or better
filtered add-on cards.

SDR operation in generally involves feeding broadband audio
in I/Q to a soundcard without significant AGC.  Noise levels
are much lower than the detector output of the conventional
transceivers which makes both the noise floor and dynamic
range of the soundcard significant when determining system
performance.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV