[RTTY] Windows 7 and USB to Serial adapters

Joseph E. Wittmer jwittmer at halcomm.com
Fri Jan 22 14:39:53 PST 2010

Depending on the requirements of the hardware you are using, Prolific may not work. The last I tested the prolific driver/chipset there were issues with both hardware and software flow control.

I recommend the FTDI chipset for use in applications requiring 7 or 8 data bits. They abandoned support of 5 data bits sometime ago. In my tests FTDI's implimentation of XON/XOFF flow control (txflow and rxflow flags both must be set) and RTS/CTS flow control work well.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has found a USB or ExpressCard solution with Windows 7 64-bit drivers for 45 baud, 5 data bits.

I have an ExpressCard Model #SS-AS1RS here which supports 5 data bits, however it supports only 75 baud and higher rates. No 45 baud :-(

73
Joe K9SZ