[RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:59:46 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:27, Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Whether the dash is good or not  has been debated over and over for
>> years and most ops have come to the conclusion that it is better to
>> NOT use a dash. When the dash is present, it defeats USOS and often
>> leads to requests for a repeat.
>
> I believe Chen would say (or has said) just the opposite.  So I refute
> your contention that "most ops have come to the conclusion that it is
> better to NOT use a dash"

Depends on the exchange.  Remember that the dash is in FIGS set, not
LTRS.  (see, for example,
http://www.dataip.co.uk/Reference/BaudotTable.php)

599 123 123  -- USOS causes an extra FIGS shift

599 123-123  -- no USOS, so no extra shift.  Probably ought to have a
dash after the superfluous-yet-mandatory-in-most-'tests RST as well.

599 OK-OK   --  Two extra shift characters sent for the dash, one
FIGS, one LTRS.

599 OK OK   -- no extra shfts