[RTTY] To dash or not to dash - the bottom line

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Jan 26 10:03:16 PST 2010

On Jan 26, 2010, at 1/26    9:10 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:28, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> QWE-QWE-QWE-QWE-QWE (etc, 30 times)
>
> The - character is in the FIGS case, not LTRS, so how would I end up
> with your example?

You wouldn't, Peter.

I don't think there is any receiving system that prints a dash (an
exclusively FIGS shift Baudot character) and immediately followed by a
Q (an exclusively LTRS shift Baudot character) without some Baudot
shift character coming in between (either a LTRS shift, or an implicit
LTRS shift caused by a space character when receiving using USOS).

There could well be, but I haven't found the software that would print
"mixed shifted" characters.

Perhaps Bill can point to the software decoder that does it (without
embarassing the software author, that is) .  I am curious to know why
they would do this, unless it is some maximum a priori (MAP) scheme
that has gone awry.

73
Chen, W7AY