[RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports - SOLUTION!

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Wed Jan 27 01:08:06 PST 2010

Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote: "In addition to making the exchange as concise
as practical, one important consideration is being overlooked. They ALL
specify RTTY as a mode for the contest. But not a single one of them
specified a specific speed."

I haven't looked, but I doubt if any CW contest specifies speed? Whom will
make the most contacts, a station running at 75 WPM, that few can copy, or
the one running at 45 WPM, that most can copy, at least for the contest
exchange? I fully subscribe to "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" theory, and
I see none of the listed contest's, that seem to be broken? If, for whatever
reason, placing dashes in your RTTY exchange, works best for you, in all
aspects, by all means, use dashes! If, for whatever reason, not placing
dashes in your RTTY exchange, works best for you, in all aspects, by all
means, don't use dashes! Pure and simple: "if it isn't broken, don't fix
it"!

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW