[RTTY] High speed RTTY

Roger Cooke roger at g3ldi.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 15:05:58 PST 2010

Hi.

  I am trying to push for a "higher" speed RTTY international standard and
having read this I see that others are thinking along similar lines.
Personally
I think that 100Bauds is too fast. The BER rate increases with speed and
using the present filters that most transceivers seem to have, namely 250Hz
or 200Hz, I think that 75 Bauds would be a better target. I have tried
75 Bauds
on 80 and 20 metres with good copy and trying to keep up with the typing at
that speed is quite stimulating!
  BARTG used to have a 75 Baud contest, but don't at present. I would
support
an international standard of 75 Bauds. It would almost double the
present old
45 Baud that we are stuck on, and I don't know of anybody using Teleprinters
these days, so it would not be a problem. Simply altering the speed in MMTTY
and most other programs is all that is needed.
  I remember having to change governors on my old Creed 7B every time I
changed from the DX bands ( 45 Bauds ) to 80 metres ( 50 Bauds ).  Those
days are confined to history and so should 45 Bauds!
  How about it?

73 de Roger, G3LDI Chairman BARTG