[RTTY] USOS Question

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:01:45 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:50, keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
<keepwalking188 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The discussion has centered around dash vs. Space. So let me ask at the risk of offending those who already know everything there is to know -  would any of the other seperators (comma?) offer a performance advantage vs the dash/space options?

First of all, I know nothing.  Of substance, anyway.

The issue is the shifts - they're overhead.  To get more than 32
characters out of 5 bits, Baudot includes a FIGS shift and a LTRS
shift.  As Chen just mentioned, those don't exist in ASCII (or
Varicode).  So the idea we've been batting around is how to transmit
the shortest possible exchange in the most robust way.

Look here http://www.dataip.co.uk/Reference/BaudotTable.php and you'll
see that all the punctuation (and the FIGS) is in the FIGS case. SPACE
is in both, as is CR, LF, and the shifts themselves.