[RTTY] High speed RTTY

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 20:32:57 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:26:57 -0800, Kok Chen <chen at mac.com> wrote:

>  In fact, DominoEX is as fast to tune and as interactive as RTTY (since you don't need to wait for the absolute tones to be identified in DominoEX as you do in MFSK16 -- like RTTY, once you hear one tone and then a second different tone, you can start the decoding process).  When you turn on FEC, DominoEX is very robust against flutter.  However, if your interest is in contesting, rather than in radio science, there are not many DominoEX contests.  I only remember one HF contest that specifically targeted DominoEX.   (More recently, there have been VHF contests that targeted DominoEX.  QST mentioned it not too long ago.)

REPLY:

Interesting. I have wondered for a long time if some mode would
eventually replace RTTY for contesting, and for general operating and
DXing as well. Do you think it might be DominoEX? Are there any
drawbacks to using it in a contest? If it is slower that is not
necessarily a gad thing if throughput is significantly better.

73, Bill W6WRT