[RTTY] RTTY Interface Replacement

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Jul 4 17:10:13 PDT 2010

Hi Steve,

I have no experience with the RigExpert Plus, but I too used a Rigblaster
Plus for interfacing my PC and IC-756PRO before acquiring the microKEYER II.
Without hesitation I would heartily recommend the MK II - I absolutely love
it!

As Chen noted in his reply there is now a new Digi keyer II on the market to
be factored into the decision.  If you also do SSB contesting or just casual
SSB operating the DVK in the MK II is great.  The audio messages created are
clear and crisp and sound very natural over the air.  All the various modes,
CW, SSB and FSK give you up to 9 message memories for each mode.  However,
it is very easy to create multiple message sets for each mode for different
situations and/or contests and save them on your computer.  When needed you
can quickly load in a new set of messages from a saved file and be running
in a few seconds.  If you go with the MK II I would also recommend getting
either the PS2 number pad or a PS2 keyboard for even more flexibility in
using the MK II.

The hookup from the PC to the MK II is a single USB cable.  The microHAM
provided cable connections will vary depending upon your radio.  My
DB37-IC-8 cable is a bit bulky to handle, but once routed to the radio and
connected is a much cleaner installation than all the cables I needed with
the Rigblaster Plus.  My cable, used first for my IC-756PRO and now my
IC-7600, has two main cables from the DB37F connector on the back of the MK
II.  One goes directly to the mic connector on the radio front panel.  The
second one has multiple leads that go to rear panel connections on the
radio - ACC1, key, CI-V.  The setup and configuration of the router software
can take some time initially, but the instructions provided by microHAM are
very descriptive and easy to follow.  The support from Joe W4TV and the
microHAM folks is outstanding.

Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A