[RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 13 06:52:23 PDT 2010

That was a blast!  I really enjoyed the 75 baud RTTY Sprint.  I agree with Roger in that it proved 75 baud can be used in RTTY
contests with good success.  I thought it would be more difficult but it wasn't.  Working SO2R was a challenge, but I quickly found
the key is to concentrate mostly on making sure the signal tuned in quickly.

And I agree with John that after using 75 baud, then going back to 45 baud in DLDC felt very slow.  The biggest problems I saw were
with weak signals.  They just didn't seem to print well at all.  I had summer time noise on 20 meters which made it difficult at
times.  So I can imagine that 40 and 80 could be a waste of time at this time of year.

I disagree in that I feel the contest should be longer than four hours - maybe 8 hours.  And I'm not sure working 75 baud would be
much fun on the low bands.  I really like the high band format.  It would be better not to have it in the summer, at least down
here!  We were lucky in that 15 and 20 meters were in fairly good shape.  I was surprised to work FG5LA, GW5NF, HC1JQ, G3WW, YT5W,
EA7CIX, and GB50ATG along with a host of NA stations on 15 meters.  I was disappointed in missing AF and OC.  I also could not put
in a full effort, but really had a great time.  It was more fun than expected.

Results:

Band QSO DX CA Cont
20   84  19 12 4
15   43  3   2 0