[RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 13 21:52:59 PDT 2010

Bob K0RC wrote:  "I can imagine the higher rates would even challenge the SO2R operators in the beginning. Maybe some SO2R operators
can comment on this?"

I don't remember much about the High Speed Sprint other than I took part in them!  It may have been harder back then since we didn't
have MMTTY and perhaps the decoders weren't up to the challenge.  I just don't remember how it was.

Running SO2R at 75 baud caused a rush of adrenalin and it was a challenge, but didn't take long to figure out.  I'm glad I wasn't
drinking alcohol!  (I'm on call at work so had to stay sober) As I stated earlier, the biggest concern was getting the signal tuned
in fast when S&P.  Since I practice this all the time at 45 baud, it wasn't difficult for me to do, but there was more of a sense of
urgency at this high of speed.  I tried running both radios as much as I could but activity was not high enough to sustain any rate
so S&P was needed.  The trick is to stay calm.  I got into a flow rather quickly and really got a kick out of the text screaming
across the screen.

I was constantly adjusting my messages on the fly for the first hour.  Before the contest, I took a conservative approach and
created longer messages than what I normally use at 45 baud.  In many cases, I found the messages didn't need to be much longer, if
any.  One time when running, a station I was working came back with something like "7-7" and that was it.  They just sent the number
twice and it printed perfectly.  I had a buffer created already in case someone needed a repeat of my number.  It was just the
number sent 5 times.  So I started using that as my S&P report - just the number sent five times.  It worked great.  No need to send
my call if the run station got it right.  No need to send the callsign of the run station, because he/she already knows their call.
I noticed most everyone was sending three digit numbers even at the start.  I decided on using single digit numbers, then double,
etc 1, 2, 10 instead of 001, 002, 010, to make things even faster and it worked well.

I'm not sure about pressing 100 baud onto other RTTY contests.  I still prefer 45 baud and it's robustness through band noise, QRM
and weak signals.  I seriously doubt 100 baud is going to work in a lot of situations where 45 baud can - like the low bands in the
summer time or when there are two or more stations calling at the same time.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com