[RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint

Stephen/Marilyn Haines steveandmarilynhaines at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:07:43 PDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 1:06 PM, Kok Chen wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2010, at 6/14    4:39 AM, Stephen/Marilyn Haines wrote:
>
>> The difference between 45 and 75
>> baud pushes me from "yes it's hard but I enjoy it" to "It's impossible
>> -- why bother." Is there anyone else on the list with a truly weak
>> signal that had the same reaction?
>

> Steve,
>
> Since you mentioned the power that you are using, I assume the
> diffculty is because you are not heard by others, and not because you
> can't copy the others, correct?  Do you get a lot of AGN, AGN when you
> call them?
>
> One does lose a couple of dB in SNR when demodulating 75 baud versus
> 45.45 baud.  Most big guns that are heard in a contest are way, way
> over the threshold of decodability however (perhaps not from ZP,
> though), so losing a couple of dB usually means that a previously
> decodable big gun signal is still perfectly decodable at 75 baud.
>
> Copy should only become difficult for the marginal signals -- ones
> that are just barely over the noise floor of the receiving system
> before.  I.e., people who used to throw an error or two at 45.45 baud
> would now, at 75 baud be fully garbled.
Hi Chen  . . . and many thanks for your always-thoughtful response.
Really I have both difficulties, and both are related to my poor
antenna. At 75 baud I had a LOT more trouble decoding anyone. Whereas at
45 baud I might find a dozen readable signals on a pass thru 20 meters,
at 75 baud I would print two. The other part is laughable if it weren't
so sad! At 45 baud I get a lot of AGN? AGN? or QRZ? at 75 baud all I get
is CQ CQ !! What's so maddening is that I want to play and would be a
desirable multiplier IF anyone could hear me -- I'm the only current
RTTY contester in ZP (I think), and usually the only CW contester from
here (Doug ZP6CW is a pedal-to-the-metal CW op, but doesn't do tests
anymore).

I realize that my poor signal and poor reception are my responsibility.
It's possible that there are very few operators who really suffer a loss
of enjoyment in the contest when the speed is increased, but sadly, I'm
one of them :-( If we do get to vote (grin), I'm for 45 baud! 73 de
Steve ZP9EH