[RTTY] cheating

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Jun 14 16:51:35 PDT 2010

 > If you can sit there and honestly tell this group that an SO2R station
 > does not have a distinct advantage, Fine.

I'm not saying that it is not an advantage although there are single
radio stations that regularly outscore two radio stations.  A big
part of the difference is still operator skill - a skilled operator
can do more if he/she has more resources whether those resources be
antennas, transmitters, receivers, or computers.  In the end it is
still HOW the operator uses those resources.

What I am saying is that Radiosport has consistently based entry
classification not on the number of transmitters, the use of computers,
or the number/size of antennas but by whether ONE PERSON performed all
of the operating functions (e.g. single operator) or more than one
person was involved (e.g., multi-operator).

 > There will be operators who will find an advantage one way or another.
 > Having the Varsity squad play the Pro Team shouldn't be one of them.

We're not talking about "teams" here - that would be multi-operator.

Unlike auto racing or yachting, etc. radiosport does not define class
based on hardware.  Similarly, unlike golf or bowling radiosport does
not define classes based on experience, age or "handicap."

If you want to define competition based on a system of classes - first
define the classes starting with antennas and experience.  Since a
single operator may transmit only one signal at a time and may listen
to as many receivers as he can reasonably handle, the number of
available transmitters (and the speed with which one can switch bands)
should be one of the LAST things considered in defining "classes of
competition."

Understand, if you choose to redefine radiosport in an auto racing or
golf model, you are exponentially increasing the cost and effort
required of contest sponsors (based on the larger number of "classes"
and the increased opportunity for cheating and thus the increased need
for policing).  There are many contest sponsors who will simply stop
sponsoring their events rather than deal with the added cost and
effort.  As such, a wholesale restructuring of radiosport will probably
kill it (but then maybe you're an anti-contester who *WANTS* to destroy
radiosport).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV