[RTTY] cheating

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Jun 14 18:05:05 PDT 2010

Let's see ...

 >     If you've got the time, money and skill needed to set up and
 > operate a full blown, legal limit SO2R, Thats fine.
 >     But don't expect to be in competition with someone of a more
 > modest station.

How about, "If you've got the time, money and skill needed to set up
multiple towers with multiple stacked arrays, that's fine.  But don't
expect to be in competition with someone with a more modest station?

 >     The point of this whole thread and many more before it is simply,
 > Make SO2R its own class.
 >     Do that, and we bring operator skill to an even fight.

That's BS - you don't even begin to bring operator skill to an "even
fight" unless you control for *ALL* - *100%* of the differences between
stations including antennas, receiver sensitivity, and geographical
differences.  SO2R is only *ONE* component in the mix.

As Contesting Hall of Fame inductee AA5AU has stated publicly, he
started using SO2R to make up for the disadvantages he had in
antennas.  There was no way he could compete with the stacks of
monoband antennas that dominated RTTY radiosport.  I suspect the
same is true in other modes as well ... a well designed, modest
station with a couple of tribanders will allow a *SKILLED* operator
to compete on a more level playing field with a less skilled operator
who has bigger antennas and engages in "checkbook contesting."

Making SO2R its own class only serves to push operators who choose
one tool into a separate class.  You, and others like you who would
destroy 60 years of contesting tradition, will still loose to the
deep pocket operators who can build multiple tower antenna farms.

However, I'll make you this offer ... if you are willing to convince
contest sponsors to create a class that excludes *BOTH* SO2R and any
antenna with more than 2.3 dBi gain in free space or more than 10
meters above ground,  I'll happily support you in your effort to
"bring operator skill to an even fight."  Otherwise, your argument
is nothing more than an attempt to use "operator skill" as a
codeword for "I don't like SO2R."

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV