[RTTY] Cheating

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Jun 14 22:29:50 PDT 2010

 > AS usual Joe clouds the issue. SO2R is not about changing bands
 > rapidly. Anyone can flip a switch rapidly.  It is about being able
 > to listen on another frequency WHILE TRANSMITTING, something a
 > single radio op can not do.

As usual it is Bill that is trying to cloud the issue.  SO2R
does not even require two transceivers - it only takes the ability
to listen on one band while transmitting on another and change
bands rapidly on one transmitter.  Although it was done using two
operators, the technique was demonstrated using transceiver and
separate receiver at the last WRTC.

Do we now exclude another entire group of operators because they
can receive on one band while transmitting on another?  Calling
CQ on six meters and monitoring higher bands is commonplace for
VHF/UHF contesting (of course Bill would probably ban that too
if he knew about it).

 > It effectively doubles your operating time,

Again, that's pure nonsense ... every operator has the same amount
of operating time.  How he chooses to use it and how efficient he
is at using it is just one more element of SKILL.

Bill simply refuses to understand that SO2R techniques have been
practiced to one degree or another for more than 50 years.  Bill
is obviously a firm believer in revisionist history ... that if
you tell an untruthful story often enough and loudly enough that
it will magically become true.

73,

     ... Joe, W4TV

 >None of this addresses the use of multiple radios to change bands
 >rapidly by a skilled operator (e.g. SO2R).

REPLY:

AS usual Joe clouds the issue. SO2R is not about changing bands
rapidly. Anyone can flip a switch rapidly.  It is about being able to
listen on another frequency WHILE TRANSMITTING, something a single
radio op can not do. It effectively doubles your operating time, a
HUGE advantage, much like having an amplifier or spotting assistance
or  multiple operators. They have their own class and SO2R should too.
Joe has had this explained to him a zillion times but there is some
kind of mental block operating there. It's like arguing with a rock.