[RTTY] Skimmer

k3mm at verizon.net k3mm at verizon.net
Tue Jun 15 13:02:06 PDT 2010

I'm surprised one hasnt been written yet for the digital modes, but I guess there isnt much monetary incentive to do so since you wont sell many copies.

FYI, the $500 RFSpace SDR-IQ works fine for 200khz of any single band at a time and the $995 QS1R will decode up to 7x100khz band segments with plenty of DSP to spare.   Both connect on a computer USB port and a modest dual-core computer provides enough power to run it.  There are other less costly solutions that use your sound card to decode up to 96khz of audio bandwidth.

Check out reversebeacon.net on the web or Telnet Port 7300 and see it in action.  Most of these guys are using very simple broadband vertical antennas.  I got a QS1R funded by our local packetcluster group and it's tapped into my tribanders and some short beverages when I'm not on the air. It's usually on the reversebeacon.net site or you can try it direct at k3mm.dyndns.org port 7300 . I'm usually decoding 160 thru 20, 15, and 10 meters with good coverage to EU, west, and NNW or SSE directions from MD.

It's fun to get on reversebeacon.net, call CQ, and see who spots you and where.  The spots come with an SNR in db and WPM comment so you can use it for antenna comparisons and other cool stuff like that.

73, Ty K3MM