[RTTY] 75 Baud

Vladimir Sidorov vs.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:41:31 PDT 2010

Gents,

Please be more careful with what we already have by now, i.e the 45 Baud
RTTY. This mode is very well established and popular. Moreover, it sits
firmly in some radios' hardware. Now that there are more and more talks
about the magic 75 Baud one, we have already seen a semi-DX-pedition
declaring 75 Baud RTTY "to work them all faster", then a new full-size 75
Baud Sprint and finally a recent invitation to play 75 Baud in the Field
Day. What's next? It might be another message which we have already seen
here in the list, like if the RTTY (OK, the 75 Baud one) performance is like
this, then "why bother"? And back to FD, I just recall somebody's report of
RTTY introduction to newbies during the FD using a Pro3 without a PC. Now if
the Pro3 cannot catch RTTY by its own built-in RTTY decoder, then again, why
bother? The newbies may simply turn into bye-byes.
I for one bought a Pro3 to have an instant RTTY machine to catch RTTY DX
quickest possible, without spending time for PC boot, etc. It the 75 Baud
development is pushed so hard, the Pro3 will turn just into a dust
collector.

As for the 45 Baud RTTY in contesting, its slower speed just brings up
another great operator's challenge, how to handle both the slow speed and
the extensive pile-up in the same time...

Experiments with 75 Baud are fine, but not for an account of the mainstream
45 Baud RTTY, please.

Sorry, just could not resist.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE