[RTTY] 75 Baud

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 13:33:46 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:04:38 -0500, "Robert Chudek - K0RC"
<k0rc at citlink.net> wrote:

>The early lesson from 75 Baud RTTY is when the bands deteriorate,
>slower is better. But when band conditions are great, higher
>speeds allows a lot more qso's per hour.

REPLY:

Perhaps we need software that automatically changes speeds with hand
conditions. A couple of scenarios come to mind:

1. You CQ at 75 baud. If the replying station is having trouble
decoding you, he answers at 45 baud, and your software changes to 45
baud for the rest of the QSO, then back to 75 baud when complete.

or

You CQ at 45 baud. If the replying station believes you will copy him
ok, he replies at 75 baud and if you copy ok, you change to 75 baud
and complete the QSO. The change would be semi-automatic, i.e. your
software would detect the 75 baud and ask if you want to change.

Might be a solution. What do you think?

73, Bill W6WRT