[RTTY] AFSK RTTY on USB question

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Fri Mar 19 11:00:51 PDT 2010

You will be transmitting/receiving in reverse (RTTY is polarity sensitive).
So, Mark and Space will be reversed. In addition the 'dial' frequency will
be 'off' in the reverse direction. The AFSK tone frequency can also fall
outside the filters.

As a result I use low tones (1200/1400Hz) on USB - in the European fashion,
so as to fall better within the USB bandwidth.

Note: You mention "PSK", if you're using PSK-31, as I understand it, there
is no reverse polarity problem (NRTZ) only the display frequency -vs- the
'center' frequency. I prefer Center to Mark frequency convention just for
ease of tuning and understanding.

Good luck,

73 de Phil - N8PS