[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP WAEDC

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Nov 15 11:43:26 PST 2010

Hi all,

Note to myself for next year: Avoid getting the flu just before the contest!

I was off work for the few days before the contest with flu, and felt less
than capable on Saturday morning when I started the contest. I just wasn't
feeling good, and concentrating was just too much hard work.

I did try calling CQ a few times, but it was just as well the pile-ups
didn't ensue.

Had to slow down a few times and take a break, and had to give up early on
Saturday evening as my head was throbbing too much.

Sunday was a bit better, so I tried hard to make up the deficit, but it was
going to be a long hard struggle.

I tried to exchange as many QTC's as possible, knowing that I wouldn't have
a great QSO count.

Before the flu hit me, the plan was to try and make 1000 contacts, and get
500+ QTC's. However, by Saturday tea-time, I would have been happy with 400
Q's and the same number of QTC's.

Conditions on Sunday appeared to be better than Saturday, with good openings
on 15m. What a blast to get QTC's from AA5AU (good to see you back on air
Don!) without any problem.

I was also amazed to get some from Jack W7LD on 20m. That was impressive.

Sadly, I couldn't receive them from K7IA, as his signal was just way too
fluttery here.

Most folk were happy to exchange QTC's, but I did find a few stations with
high QSO-counts that sent SRI NO QTC. What a shame!

Some nice ones in the log this time, such as VK3TDX on 3 bands, OD5NJ on 40m
and 20m, VY2SS especially on 40m after sunrise here, and FY1FL on 40 and
20m. That was a new band-slot for me on 40m, so most pleasing.

Here is what I managed:

Class: Single Op LP

QTH:

Operating Time (hrs): 20

Band  QSOs  Pts  QTCs  Mults

------------------------------------

   80:     55      55      0      120

   40:    120    120     20    138

   20:    212    212    130    118

   15:     111    111     319     84

   10:      3       3        0        6

------------------------------------

Total:  501  501   469   466  Total Score = 452,020

I was amazed to end up with 501 contacts, but a little disappointed not to
have made 500+ QTC's.

Thanks to all for the fun, and to those that took the trouble to learn how
to handle QTC's for this year.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101115-1, 15/11/2010
Tested on: 15/11/2010 19:43:27