[RTTY] Fwd: IARU BEACONS

Ron Kolarik rkolarik at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 15 20:35:17 PST 2010

The beacons operate 24/7 on a fixed frequency and don't command any
more protection that the rest of the users....make sure they are not in your
passband plus a bit and don't worry about it. The only modes and frequencies
that may warrant notice are JT65 and WSPR. Some of these signals are in the
noise and you won't know they are there unless you're running the software.
Know where they are and give them a break if you can.

My biggest gripes contest or not are PSK'ers that insist on running their
receive
filters wide open then complaining about nearby strong signals desensing
their
rigs. Robots, actually users, nobody needs to keep in touch that bad.....get
a sat
phone. Certain groups that "own"  a frequency and will let you know that if
you stray too close..."internationally coordinated" means zip if the
frequency is
NOT IN USE. Nets....again if the QRG is not in use, ask politely and I'll
move,
demand the frequency and I won't. I've received "fan mail" from all these
and
more, anonymous usually, and not nearly as nice as the one below. There
seems to
be a trend that a frequency is not in use if the mode you're about to
transmit
is not present it's okay to blast away. Something needs to be resolved among
the
various users without getting national organizations or worse government
regulators involved......both generally screw things up for everyone.

Ron
K0IDT