[RTTY] CQWW from GU0SUP

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Sep 27 12:08:00 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Due to various commitments, I wasn't able to start until after lunch on
Saturday, although I did manage to sneak into the shack for a couple of
hours during the morning.
I spent the first hours on 15m, trawling the band for the easier to work
calls, with the intention of leaving the juicier DX until later.
However, finding the likes of KD6DX and KH2/N2NL calling was too much to
leave, so I called, and worked them both. This was a new band-slot for me,
so was especially pleasing.
It was also very pleasing to see JA's and even UA0YAY (z23) on the band, as
it has been a while since I was able to work that kind of stuff on 15m. I
kept checking 10m, and found a few short openings, but nothing too amazing.
I kept at 15m until it was hard to work stations, and they were beginning to
thin out so I went down to 20m.
I tried calling CQ, but just could not get a run going, so I just trawled
the bands, picking up mults whenever possible, and working pretty much
everyhting that I could hear.
Just around 1800UTC, I tried 10m, just out of curiosity, and found a few
PY's and LU's. I had expected this to happen, as it was dark by this time,
and I have found that it is worth checking this N/S path around this time.
However, after a short while there, 15m had closed here to all but those big
guns that were already in the log.
I also kept getting RF into my Microkeyer, where it would only send
gibberish, and it meant a reboot each time, so I gave up for the night,
felling quite dispirited.

A good sleep was what I needed, so I decided to start early on Sunday
morning. For some reason, I had no more problems with the Microkeyer sending
gibberish, so I am not sure what happened.

80m was the first band to try, and although everything ws a mult, it was
mostly EU's, and only a few audible W's. W1UE was the only one to hear me,
although K4GMH and NR4M were both quite strong here.
After an hour, I went to 40m, again, just to add to the tally, but the band
seemed quite lively.
YV4BCD was a nice mult, as were K4FJ, FM5CD, WJ2D, XE3N and HC8/K6AW. Sadly,
W9NGA was loud hear, but could not hear me. A pity, as he was sending 03 AZ,
and that would have been a real nice mult, not to mention a neat one on RTTY
on 40m for me! Still, I did get him on 20m later in the day.
Again, I spent a lot of time just going from the top to the bottom of the
RTTY signals, and working whatever I could.

I CQ'd, and had some good runs this time, albeit that it did get a little
unruly at times. I guess I got spotted, as it would hot up every now and
again, and then slow down to a more manageable rate.
Again, 10m opened just after dark here, but only to LU and PY again. I heard
CV5D with a strong signal, but he just could not hear me. However, several
weak PY's got me easily, so I was pleased with that.
After that, I went to 40m, and was pleased to work JH4UYB, and then I saw
JT5DX with a huge pile-up.
I did try, but quickly realised that I was never going to hear him respond,
and his rate was incredibly slow due to the pile-up.
I went back to the top of the RTTY signals, and started to come down the
band again, working whatever I could hear, and I was amazed to see that
JT5DX had moved, and was now calling CQ with no response! It took two calls,
but I got him! Another new band-slot!

I was amused to see several W's that clearly aren't used to RTTY, sending GA
or GM, which is pleasant, but a little confusing when they then send CT 05,
or worse still - GM GA 05.

My gripes? Well, why is it that folk send their call when it is quite
evident that I am in the process of receiving a contest exchange?
I can understand someone being pleased to see a GU call on screen, and
sending a call if they have just found me, but some folk repeatedly sent
their calls over a report again and again.
And during one small pile-up I had, I was asked by a IK station to QSY to
15m for him, as he needed GU on 15m. PLEASE!
Yeah, right! Maybe if it had been JT5DX, or HC8, I may have tried.
Had one more session of gremlins in the Microkeyer on Sunday afternoon, but
only the one.

Some other amusements:
Seeing LZ9W being worked by an Sp who decided his call was 4K9W, not LZ9W.
Trying to call M7T on 20m via backscatter as they were quite audible with
me, but they weren't sure of my call, only to have someone call ME with a 2
X 3, thus giving them a hint as to my call, with which they worked me.

Great to work the likes of K7QQ, VE5RI, VE6WQ, VE7UF, VE7SV, and a few
others.

I logged some nice DX on all bands, and ended up with 2 new band-slots
courtesy of KG6DX and KH2/N2NL on 15m, and the JT5DX on 40m.
Since the end of the contest, I now have confirmations on LoTW with 6V7X for
10m, VR2PX for 15m, and KH2/N2NL on 15m. These are all new confirmations for
me, so thanks to you all.

Here is my tally:

Class: SOAB LP (100 watts max, but usually only about 80w)
QTH: Guernsey
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:    33      71        1           22     5
   40:    99     212       2          49    14
   20:   271    628       29        64    20
   15:   145    355       12         56    24
   10:    13      35         0          7     6
Total:  561  1301      44      198    69  Total Score = 404,611

80m Summary
Zones
5   14  15  16  33

Countries
9A     CT3    DL     EA     EA8    F      G      GI     GM     GW
HA     I      K      LX     ON     PA     S5     SM     SP     T7
UR     YL

States/Provinces
MA

40m Summary
Zones
5   6   8   9   10  14  15  16  17  20  23  25  33  40

Countries
5B     9A     CT     CT3    DL     E7     EA     EA8    ER     ES
EU     F      FM     G      GM     GU     HA     HC8    I      IT9
JA     JT     K      LA     LX     LY     LZ     OE     OH     OK
OM     ON     OZ     PA     S5     SM     SP     T7     TF     UA
UA9    UN     UR     XE     YL     YO     YU     YV     Z3

States/Provinces
NC   VA

20m Summary
Zones
3   4   5   9   14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24
25  27  28  33  40

Countries
4J     5B     9A     9M2    A6     BY     CT     CT3    DL     DU
E7     EA     EA8    EA9    ER     ES     EU     G      GM     GU
GW     HA     HB     HZ     I      IS     IT9    JA     JT     JY
K      LA     LX     LY     LZ     OE     OH     OH0    OK     OM
OY     OZ     P4     PA     S5     SM     SP     SV     T7     TF
TK     UA     UA2    UA9    UN     UR     VE     VP9    VU     YB
YL     YO     YU     Z3

States/Provinces
CT   MA   NH   RI   VT   NJ   NY   MD   PA   FL   GA   NC
SC   TN   VA   TX   AZ   WA   OH   IL   KS   MN   NE   NS
QC   ON   SK   AB   BC

15m Summary
Zones
4   5   8   9   10  11  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22
23  24  25  27  33  34  36  38  39

Countries
4X     5B     9A     A6     A7     CT3    DL     E7     EA8    ER
EU     EY     F      HA     HC8    HI     HK     HZ     I      IS
IT9    JA     K      KH2    KP2    KP4    LA     LU     LZ     OH
OH0    OM     P4     PA     PY     SM     ST     SV     SV5    SV9
TA     TR     UA     UA9    UK     UN     UR     VE     VQ9    VR
VU     YO     YU     Z3     ZC4    ZS

States/Provinces
MA   ME   NY   PA   AL   FL   NC   SC   TN   VA   IL   ON

10m Summary
Zones
11  13  14  15  20  35

Countries
6W     9A     I      LU     LZ     OZ     PY

States/Provinces
NONE!

Thanks to all for the fun. My log is already on LoTW, but paper cards are
always welcomed.

Very 73

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100927-1, 27/09/2010
Tested on: 27/09/2010 20:08:00