[RTTY] RTTY Radio IC7600 vs IC700 vs FT5000

iw1ayd iw1ayd at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:18:05 PDT 2011

Yes.
The plain answer to that question, LA6FJA,  is yes. There is the a 3
time pushing actions, just  fiddling buttons to enable the TPF with the
250 Hz filter for the 7600 and for the 7700. To move from the largest
filter to the tight filter and the TPF you will need to push two times
the filter button and one time the TPF button, a 3 time action.
To fold back on the largest filter you need again to push the TPF button
and one times filter button, a 2 time action.

This will give a lengthy manual filtering switchover time for the newest
ICOM opposed to the oldest as the PROIII, in each way a 1 time action.

Out of the Chen's, W7AY, arguments, on which I agree but with a somewhat
different point of view, I would say some more words.

As I wrote some time ago all this "push-buttoning" could be overcome
easily if you use the "right" logger program. For me it is N1MM. There
is plenty of definable macro buttons inside it. Anyone could easily
program those macro to send commands as to switch on filter bandwidth
and the TPF on OFF. There are several places to get any help about that.

I was lastly forced to work by this way on my FLEX-3000 as there is
quite nothing to physically touch, it's a SDR BTW, and the mouse filter
setting is hardly repeatable when I do this by my hands.

After a positive experience on the FLEX I went back on more workable
radios for multi two or multi multi. Still owning two PROIII, I bought
back the newest ICOM transceivers. After reselling some other oldest
radio. Now and since than I am using the same technique, 3 macro to
switch betweens the filter widths and two macros to switch the TPF ON
and OFF respectively. No radio touch for the filters, I use just the VFO
knob and some more knobs as needed. Having the logger in focus during
contest and not the radio it's a good point, not for all the operations
but almost for all.

About the loggers I know that there are more useful logger out there but
I don't like all of those and they don't like me not having the same and
unique macro flexibility, at by the number  of those, as i find in N1MM.

Now I have the same way to operate on the FLEX, on the IC-7600 and on
the IC-7700 and also the PROIII.Not having to fiddle buttons for filters
it's a great improvement during contests.

Last words are, if you live in a not awfully dense environment of clean
RF signal get the ICOM, have the N1MM and click yours mouse or trackball
focusing operations on air during any contests or pile-ups and not the
radio. If you live in a dense environment of not clean RF signals, no
way. There are several middle point, for ICOM, for FLEX or other SDR and
even for the 5000 or the K3.

That's just what I experienced.

                       73 de iw1ayd

PS there is be a lot more to say about the ancient paradigms we are
today experiencing in ours world, about radios, softwares and PCs but it
will be too long here. As SDR's are made to looks as an old radio how it
could be that ours software, inside or outside the radios, could be made
to do better what we need. I am making it too easy I know.