[RTTY] Dual Peak Filter question

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 07:44:53 PDT 2011

I appreciate the discussions on this reflector as I still  have a lot to
learn about RTTY.

Based upon the information below that basically contends that  "software
based dual peak filters outperform the a rigs dual peak DSP  filter" can I
assume then that I'd do better during RTTY contests by  turning my K-3's dual
peak filter off" and turning on the MMTTY dual peak  filter?  (I have never
tried MMTTY's dual peak filter)  In case it matters, I have 250hz and 400 hz
roofing  filters in the K-3.

Thanks & 73,

Dick- K9OM

As such,  optimal filtering for digital modes is better achieved in the
software modem  than by using approximations in the DSP stages of the rig.  And
software  UI can be simplified to anything that you wish.

With the processors in  today's computers, there are not that may things
DSP processors can do in real  time that the computers cannot also in real
time, where latency is not a  problem (the exception is the decimation process
of the direct SDR that starts  at 70 MHz).

A dual peak filter (usually done in the DSP stages  of a rig) is just an
approximation of two narrow bandpass filters around each  of the two RTTY
tones.  This is what produces the "depression" between  the two tones.  It
approximates what a pair of matched filters does in  software that supports
matched filtering.  In fact, one thing to note is  that if the software already
implements matched filtering, engaging a dual  peak filter will make copy
worse, not better.  If copy gets better, it  means that the software filter is
not optimal.

A simple dual  peak filter cannot track the baud rate of the RTTY signal
(at least I have not  seen one that does).  I think RITTY's matched filter is
also fixed at  45.45 baud, but there are other software that implements
matched filtering  which tracks the baud rate when you change it.  In the case
of RTTY, a  matched filter has an impulse response that corresponds to the
rectangular  pulse of the demodulated RTTY signal, i.e., a pair of sin(x)/x
shapes in the  frequency domain.

73
Chen,  W7AY