[RTTY] Locating the Correct or Best Tx Sweet Spot for fldigi

Dick aa5vu at att.net
Mon Apr 18 16:31:09 PDT 2011

Since posting the subject topic, it has been suggested that I should define
the term Sweet Spot as used in fldigi because it was being confused with
other uses of term sweet spot. Some thought I was talking about the low
and high tones for AFSK RTTY and one even thought it was the most resonate
point on the antenna system for a given band.

As used in fldigi the Sweet Spot is the audio frequency at which your
transceiver provides the best filtering for a particular signal type. We would
like to be able to decode (copy) and work stations at this location on the waterfall. Some operators use 1500 Hz for the RTTY Sweet Spot so the
rig's receive filters, when narrowed, will center in the middle of waterfall
display. While this looks nice and balanced on the screen, it may or may not
be the best place for your rig.

With the receivers used in modern transceivers you can mouse-select,
decode and copy stations up and down the waterfall over a range of
frequencies.  In fldigi, if you want to work a station removed from your
defined Sweet Spot, the QSY button moves the selected station to the
Sweet Spot on the waterfall and tunes the VFO accordingly. This is the best
place to work someone.  Also, in fldigi your TX is usually slaved to the Rx
mouse position. If you mouse-select someone removed from the sweet
spot and transmit (without using the QSY button), your transmission could
be slightly off frequency and may generate the weird signals mentioned
in the posting. This is why the fldigi QSY capability is your friend. In addition
to moving the station to your Rx Sweet Spot, it tunes your rig's VFO to the
same location.

In the posting you will note I started out using 1500 Hz and recently changed
to 1000 Hz that seems to be better for my Kenwood TS-590S.  I changed
because my transmitted RTTY signal sounds (to me) more like a true FSK
signal at this location. This has nothing to do with the modulation level. I
monitor the TS-590's ALC meter so no ALC is showing.

The price I paid is my Sweet Spot location is offset to the left a little on the waterfall and that effects nothing.

Dave W1HKJ, who is the fldigi developer, has excellent documentation on this and other topics on his web page at

<http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html>

Put away the Angry Birds and spend a few minutes on Dave's FB web page.

73 Dick AA5VU