[RTTY] Amtor

Bill bmarx at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 29 16:13:00 PDT 2011

I dunno about that. I worked and confirmed well over 100 countries back
in the 80's. There was a .25ms turnaround time that always seemed to
work no matter the distance. It was always a subject of discussion. I
was always amazed to get a comment from a DX station like "Your my first
US QSO"!. The DX stations flocked to it for the uniqueness back then,
much they way they do today to new modes, like JT-65. The way  the
station suddenly started pulsing seemingly by itself, was a very
exciting thing.

I remember working several mailboxes back then because it was so new.
Don was right about ST2AA being a regular and workable most days.

Packet was terrible for HF but some went to it and then Pactor came
along. New modes always seemed to excite and after a few years Amtor
QSO's disappeared. It was always perfect copy all the time because of
the "handshake". Handshake meant the two stations were linked and
talking to each other. Like we weren't even there.

Oh well, another time and another place.

Bill Marx W2CQ