[RTTY] ST0R RTTY Statistics

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Aug 11 09:53:01 PDT 2011

The "skimmer like" techniques are there already .... see the video
from CE0Y/I2DMI - http://www.mdxc.org/ce0yi2dmi/ using microKEYER II
with N1MM Logger/MMVARI in "DXpedition mode" for Windows or the 9X0TL
videos you reference using Digikeyer II. cocoaModem and RUMped for
OS-X.  The point here is that both I2DIM and DL2RUM put a priority on
RTTY.

Using multi-channel decoding techniques would reduce the issues with
"length of transmission" (the brag tape effect) on RTTY such that it
should be as efficient as the multiple callers in a phone pile-up and
the need for the DX to constantly be saying "I want only the W7A
station", "EU only", etc.

With multi-channel receive techniques, the DX station should be able
to maintain a queue two or three stations deep and "knock them off"
at rates of two to three a minute for extended periods of time just
like phone or CW.

It's a matter of devoting as many complete high quality stations
(transceivers, amplifiers, antennas, and operators) and "band slots"
to RTTY as the DXpeditions devote to phone or CW.  Unfortunately, most
operations tend to put RTTY on the band with poorest propagation, don't
start RTTY operations until the third or fourth day, terminate RTTY
operations early, and fail to use ops who specialize in RTTY (e.g.,
those as skilled at RTTY as an N5KO, etc. is on CW).  One of the
10-10-10 PJ operations was so poor on RTTY compared to phone/CW that
for most of the time their RTTY station was an FT-840 and a trapped
vertical while all of the other stations (multiple per mode) were K3,
FT-1000MP, IC-7600 with amplifiers and yagis, full size verticals,
etc.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV