[RTTY] RTTY AWARD

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 00:55:58 PDT 2011

Marc Chicoine wrote:
>Why, after the huge upturn in worldwide RTTY contesting during the past
>several years, would ARRL decide to eliminate the RTTY designation from
>awards?  I suspect the Newington decision makers do not operate RTTY at
>all.

That simply isn't the point. The decision was driven *exclusively* by
ARRL's policy that there will NO new categories or sub-category
endorsements for DXCC awards.

RTTY is not the first community within amateur radio to have hit this
particular brick wall. From experience of another DXCC-related issue
that caused a deep split within the world's moonbounce community, ARRL
actually did understand the issues, they even understood how many people
would be deeply and unjustly hurt by it; and that didn't change a thing.
DXCC policy overrode everything and was totally immovable.

And so it remains. In the present case, the only options available under
DXCC policy were either to rename the existing "RTTY" category to
"Digital", or to do nothing. Many will believe that was a false
framework for decision-making; but that's how it was and the decision
has been made.

Any further sub-category endorsements would also be contrary to policy
so (believe me, I've been there) you're wasting your time.

Move along, people, it's over now... it really, really is.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek