[RTTY] Pileup of Rookies!

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Aug 21 21:33:35 PDT 2011

I wish I could share Don's enthusiasm - unfortunately not so.  Contest
organizers who insist on limiting power output to 100W should be required to
spend a couple of months in AK first to see just what that does to your
competitive spirit.  I only operated about 2 hours before packing it in with
16 QSO's in the log.  Just couldn't stand to listen to my plaintive CQ's go
unanswered any longer.  I can't understand the desire to "level the field",
so to speak, by limiting the use of amps, but why stop there?  I have a TH11
yagi at 70 feet  and a 40M mono band yagi at 80 feet.  Shouldn't I be
required to forego use of those antennas and revert to dipoles or verticals
to "level the field" for those who also do not possess gain antennas at
decent height?  I'm at 61 degrees N latitude.  Is my propagation situation
the same as those at 40 degrees N latitude?  Not likely.  Who do I see about
"leveling" that disparity?  Up here most Alaskan hams consider the use of an
amp IS "leveling the field"!  It's just nonsensical to think that arbitrary
restrictions such as this are beneficial for the contest or the
participants.

However, during my brief operating time I noticed an even more disturbing
aspect of the Rookie Roundup rules and how certain ops chose to implement
them.  Several stations were printed calling CQ with the proviso of "ROOKIES
ONLY".  A couple of others refused to work me when I called them because,
"You're was not a rookie"!  Really?  How did they know I wasn't a rookie
using the AL9A station unless they completed the exchange and got the CK?  I
worked K6YL expecting to get just the CA mult, but much to my surprise the
CK was 09 - a rookie!  You mean rookies can have an Extra license?  Go
figure!

The rules do not state a non-rookie cannot work another non-rookie, only
that there is no point credit for the QSO.  However, there IS point credit
for working a new mult regardless of rookie or non-rookie status!  So while
I intentionally called several stations that I knew were not rookies, it was
because I wanted to get the state mult!  So by refusing to work me, you
refused to give me your state mult and at the same time denied yourself the
chance to get the AK mult!  Did you work a lot of AK rookies in the contest?
Last time I checked most contest rules, working mults is a good thing!  I
hope no rookies were working the contest as guest ops at an Elmer's station
only to be denied a QSO because they "weren't a rookie".  I think some of
our brethren need to chill!

73,
Gary AL9A