[RTTY] Rookie Roundup scoring

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Mon Aug 22 13:08:21 PDT 2011

And the confusion continues!  I just submitted my score summary via the ARRL
Rookie Roundup score submittal page, which BTW is a PITA.  When filling in
the blanks it asks how many non-Rookie QSOs I had and how many points for
those contacts.  My total score in WL was 288 points.  The only way I could
get that to come out on the Rookie Roundup web submittal form was to
multiply my 8 non-Rookie QSOs by 1 for 8 Non-Rookie points plus 16 Rookie
points times 12 mults = 288.

But, and here we go with the rules again, there is an apparent conflict in
the rule wording.

3) Entry Categories:
Rule 3.2 - Non-Rookies may call CQ, but can only work Rookie stations for
contest credit.

5) Scoring:
Rule 5.1 - Points: 2 points for completed QSO with a Rookie, 1 point for a
completed QSO with a non-Rookie.  (In light of Rule 3.2, this only makes
sense from the perspective of a Rookie participant!)

So which is it ARRL?  As a Non-Rookie I can only work Rookies for "contest
credit", meaning score?  But, as a Non-Rookie I can take 1 point for "...a
completed QSO with a Non-Rookie"!  Apparently Rule 5.1 prevails as that is
the only way to get the score to match my contest logger score.

Who writes this stuff?

73,
Gary AL9A