[RTTY] will a USB-Serial converter work for FSK and MMTTY

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Aug 22 22:25:02 PDT 2011

That depends on whether you also require a CAT/CI-V interface to the
transceiver, a sound card for decoding RTTY, and are willing to settle
for FSK only (ignoring any digital mode except FSK RTTY).  If one
already has an available serial port with the necessary TTL/inverted
TTL/CI-V/RS-232 level converters and an available sound card, a simple
USB-Serial converter with resistor and transistor or optoisolator
drivers will work.

However, if one does not already have the necessary hardware, all the
parts will cost anywhere from $100 - $200 or more (two USB-Serial
converters, a sound card, project boxes, isolation transformers,
transistors, resistors, pots, connectors, etc.).  You will end up with
three devices, three project boxes (CAT driver, FSK/PTT/CW driver,
sound interface) and and a rat's nest of cables ... and not have
all the capabilities of an entry level commercial product.

Sure, one can build their own interface ... but what is your time
worth?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV