[RTTY] will a USB-Serial converter work for FSK and MMTTY

Alex alex at kr1st.com
Tue Aug 23 06:27:12 PDT 2011

WW3S wrote:

> I've seen conflicting info whether a usb-serial converter will work for
FSK...

Airlink Express (free) will do FSK on an USB to Serial device at 45, 75 and
100 baud. I just tested this again over the past weekend with a handful of
unidentified cheap adapters that were built on the Prolific chip. I use an
interface much like you propose with dual opto-isolators.

It will also let you key the rig through CAT commands so that for all modes,
besides FSK, you need only one available serial port (or USB-Serial adapter)
for CAT and PTT support. To add FSK you need a second serial port or
adapter.

Airlink Express also supports the generation of  FSK signals by true UART
compatible serial port hardware, like the Byte Runner cards or the single
serial port you still find on some motherboards. It is not contesting
software, though.

I would just built the interface and give it a shot with whatever software
you want to use. If FSK signals can be generated by the software (MMTTY,
Writelog...), then it will probably work just fine.

73,
--Alex KR1ST.com
http://www.airlinkexpress.com