[RTTY] Key down & 50% power

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Aug 24 12:22:41 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Gedking (at) aol.com wrote:
Never run more than 50% power on RTTY It's like putting a Brick on your CW
KEY

I guess that is a good general rule, but it does NOT apply to ALL radios!
When I used an IC756 and then an IC756Pro, I ran them at 100 watts in almost
all contests.
They never got hot, and never faltered at all. I believe they were designed
to run flat out on RTTY, so it was not a problem.
That is not the case for many Yaesu rigs though, which do need to be run at
half-power.

I now have an IC7800, and I run that at half-power, not because it can't
handle the full 200 watts, but mainly because I don't need to run it flat
out, but also because many contests have a low power section which is
limited to 100 watts.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110824-1, 24/08/2011
Tested on: 24/08/2011 20:22:41