[RTTY] ZK2V on 40-meters

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 14 07:49:51 PST 2011

That's a great catch!  Never underestimate a vertical on 40 meters at night.  I remember in a JARTS contest a l-o-n-g time ago (1993) a few hours before sunrise, I found VK9XG in the contest with a huge JA pileup.  I was running an old SB-200 with 300 watts on RTTY and an HF6VX vertical.  I didn't think I had a shot in breaking the pileup but decided to call anyway.  He came right back to me on the first call.  It was my first ever VK9X on any mode.

Then there was the time I was calling CQ in the middle of the afternoon on 40 meters and a VK6 came back to me (presumably longpath).  40 meters has always been my favorite band and the only band, up until recently with LoTW, that I chased DXCC on.  Sometimes you never know where your signal is being received.

73, Don AA5AU