[RTTY] WPX Tips and Tricks Needed

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 8 14:03:07 PST 2011

Operating times in this contest are usually dictated by propagation.  If
conditions are good at the start, you keep going until they you get too tired to
operate or lose propagation.  But since that will be on 40 and 80 Friday night
for us in NA, it depends on how noisy the low bands are.  If they are quiet, you
go until you drop.  If they are very noisy, you might want to call it an early
night.

I don't remember which year it was, but one year in WPX RTTY, I woke up Saturday
morning expecting to kill 10 and 15 meters to Europe, but there was barely a
signal on any band 10-20.  A major flare had disrupted everything.  I went back
to bed and got up a few hours later and it was better but again I decided to
rest.  A short time later I got up and checked the bands just as they opened up
big time.  Conditions were great the rest of the weekend and most of my rest had
already been taken.

One year conditions were so good at the start that I went straight through 30
hours before stopping.  Good thing because Sunday ended up being a bust for
propagation.

Problem is how to decide if conditions are too bad to continue.  You don't want
to rest too much on Saturday thinking the bands are not good only to get worse
propagation on Sunday.  Historically Sunday is slower than Saturday but I think
that has been gradually changing now that there is much more activity in this
contest.  It's second only to CQWW RTTY as far as logs submitted.

Got my KT34M2 up on the 2nd tower Sunday and I'm  P-U-M-P-E-D for this
weekend!!!

73, Don AA5AU