[RTTY] FLDIGI and Ubuntu and Contesting

Ed autek at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 08:34:45 PST 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:52:37 -0600
Dave Greig <daven3buo at att.net> wrote:

> I have read the information on the FLDIGI web site for setting this
> up for contesting under Ubuntu 10.10.  The Program is working great.
> Does any one have any additional pointers on the contesting set up of
> FLDIGI?
>
> Dave Greig
> N3BUO

Well, since the contesting features was added after I bugged Dave long
enough. He finally added them to shut me up....hi

1. Start a new log for each contest.
2. Make a separate macro set for contesting.
3. Under File turn on Text Capture. You can delete it after you are
sure you didn't miss an exchange. Its saved me a couple of times.
4. You might want to consider using a separate fldigi using the
--config-dir switch. That is how mine is set up.
5. Install Xlog, fldigi is bridged to Xlog, that way you have a backup.
6. Make use of the always 599 option in the contest tab. That saves you
from trying to capture it and fldigi automatically includes it in the
log.
7. Make sure you understand how the serial number generator works.

Drop a note here on anything you don't quite understand.

Ed W3NR

I'll be playing in the CQ-WPX RTTY contest this weekend.