[RTTY] FLDIGI and Ubuntu and Contesting

Dick aa5vu at att.net
Wed Feb 9 16:52:47 PST 2011

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 11:34:45 -0500
From: Ed <autek at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FLDIGI and Ubuntu and Contesting
To: rtty at contesting.com

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:52:37 -0600
Dave Greig <daven3buo at att.net> wrote:

> I have read the information on the FLDIGI web site for setting this
> up for contesting under Ubuntu 10.10.  The Program is working great.
> Does any one have any additional pointers on the contesting set up of
> FLDIGI?
>
> Dave Greig
> N3BUO

Well, since the contesting features was added after I bugged Dave long
enough. He finally added them to shut me up....hi

1. Start a new log for each contest.
2. Make a separate macro set for contesting.
3. Under File turn on Text Capture. You can delete it after you are
sure you didn't miss an exchange. Its saved me a couple of times.
4. You might want to consider using a separate fldigi using the
--config-dir switch. That is how mine is set up.
5. Install Xlog, fldigi is bridged to Xlog, that way you have a backup.
6. Make use of the always 599 option in the contest tab. That saves you
from trying to capture it and fldigi automatically includes it in the
log.
7. Make sure you understand how the serial number generator works.

Drop a note here on anything you don't quite understand.

Ed W3NR
-----------------

Ditto on Ed's  tips!   I suggest that before the contest you log a few
dummy QSO's to get used to how the serial number generator works
and export a sample Cabrillo file to be sure you are logging correct.

Some additional items to consider are:

8. Go to View/Controls/Full and check the Contest fields.  This will
activate the ability to right-click and mouse select the received SN.

9. Disable (uncheck) RxID and TxID while in contest mode. They can
be annoying.

10. The Broom icon and right-click Clear are your friends in contests.

11. Ditto on Ed W3NR's comment to understand how the SN generator
works and remember you HAVE to use the Reset button once you
quit fldigi and want to restart the generator at the correct number.

12. For a contest like the CQ-WPX-RTTY that requires SN exchanges,
plan on adding the <INCR> statement after your <LOG> macro to
increment the counter.

Drop me an offline note and I will share the fldigi macros I plan to
use in the CQ-WPX-RTTY contest provided the TS-590S arrives in time.

73 Dick AA5VU