[RTTY] Fwd: [GreenKeys] lack of civility

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 09:46:32 PST 2011

Kevin,

It's a compromise between maintaining a Q rate - after all, the point of the contest is competition and educating the uninformed is
not a primary objective.  Ignoring the guy is certainly more considerate than swearing at him.

However, RTTY is not a voice communication where the essence can be spelled out in 15 seconds of air time.  And when you are talking
about a contest like WPX, where there literally are wall to wall signals, it would be pretty hard for even the most casual op to
realize there is a contest going on.  If you reply to a contest CQ, the other guy is going to want the exchange.  After all, you are
responding to his CQ.

There is responsibility on both sides.  You can't push all the requirements on the contester any more than you can endorse a terse
response given to a naive respondent.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com