[RTTY] Upside down

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Feb 13 22:57:43 PST 2011

Hello Gary,

There are a number of different situations which will cause you do
decode "garbage" characters.

I happened to be in the middle of one of your attempts to decode an East
Coast station on 20m this afternoon (20:03z). In this case, there was
nothing wrong with his TX signal. He was transmitting right side up, at
the proper speed, and zero beat on your signal. And I'm confident there
really wasn't anything wrong with either of your stations... I was
printing both of you perfect.

That said, your signal coming from near the polar region into the
continental US (at that time) had a lot of flutter and distortion due to
ionospheric conditions. I suspect the same distortion was being applied
to the East Coast signal as it traveled up to your QTH. There is not
much you can do to correct this type of anomaly. In this case, selecting
a different "profile" in MMTTY might help somewhat. Other times it's
better to send a message after a couple of attempts, like "pse try
later". As a point of reference, here have been times when signals from
Asiatic Russia are +10 dB/S-9 here and I cannot decode them.

The second part of  your message asks about the REV button in MMTTY.
Yes, if you click that button your receive decoder will flip the
incoming mark and space tones. IF the transmitting station is indeed
transmitting "upside down", you should begin to print normal text. The
button is instantaneous and you can determine within a few seconds
whether someone is transmitting reversed or not. Be aware that REV
button does not affect your (or his) TX signal. Asking him to use the
REV button would not change anything on your end. If you find a station
who is transmitting reversed, most modern transceivers have a menu
selection to flip the TX tones to the correct configuration. Some
software allows you to do this as well, the EXTFSK driver (if it is
being used) with MMTTY is one example.

I did not encounter any signals this weekend that were transmitting
reverse. If there were any, I didn't hear them. But that last station
trying to work you many have been an exception. I did hear a few
stations that were transmitting faster than 45.45 bauds this weekend.
This is a third possibility that can create garbage receive on your end.
In this particular case today (20:03z), the TX station was at the
correct speed.

All these different aspects of RTTY signals and timing of the data bits
can accumulate (be additive, like feed line loss) to create a problem
for your decoder. As you go down to the 40m, 80m, and 160m bands the
distortions and "hits" from noise become even more problematic.

By the way... I think I worked EVERY transceiver that was ever shipped
to Alaska! You guys were hogging 20m from end to end! I just need to get
one of you in the log on 80m RTTY and I'll have all 50 on that band.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN