[RTTY] K or carriage return

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:48:04 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Peter Laws N5UWY wrote:

> I still don't get why the issue of making your own macros as efficient
> as possible is a controversial topic.  Why *wouldn't* you want to be
> efficient?

Here's one argument.  Let's say you are generally weak, and send your
serial number exactly TWICE.  The receiving station copies two
different numbers -- not just FIGS/LTRS problems, but actually two
different numbers (like 266 vs. 286).  Which one is right?  A repeat
is usually called for, wasting time (the "asking" time and the
"answering" time).

Some time Sunday, I decided to send my S/N *three* times while in S/P
mode (I'm running 100W to vertical).  Chances are two of the received
numbers will agree.  If not, then ask for a repeat.  And if you don't
like it, just keep calling CQ and work someone else.  If I wanted to
be MOST efficient, I'd only send the serial number ONCE.  Then the Rx
station would almost NEVER be sure if it was copied correctly.

Incidentally, this is why the space shuttle and other mission-critical
systems have voting logic with at least three voters.  This is my
attempt to model this.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us