[RTTY] Macro economics! ...was Re: Re: K or carriage return

k3mm at verizon.net k3mm at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 12:23:56 PST 2011

Sorry, I misposted this as it really belongs in the n1mm-digital forum, but the generalities still apply.

73, Ty K3MM

Feb 15, 2011 01:10:50 AM, k3mm at verizon.net wrote:

Ahh yes, so efficiency means different things for different people, stations, conditions, etc. Obviously the goal is to complete QSOs as quickly as possible with 100 percent accuracy. How you get there is the tricky part!

There are a huge number of variables related to this topic and some of them are not stable, so basically you have to make an educated guess and try it. If you are running 10kw, you might be able to get away with the number just one time, but for most of us, 2 or 3 is a better play. Then just be ready with a programmed macro to run the number at least 3 times on repeats (or type fast!), and please...JUST THE NUMBER. There is nothing more annoying than having to ask for a dozen repeats because you copied the call every time, but got a static burst or QRM every time the number was sent just once. Remember you can alway add by hitting the key again, but you cant take away without editing.

That said, if you analyze the sample macro file for Digital WPX RTTY, its a great start if you want to play with the pop/grab macro set, but there is a lot of wasted time in there.

You can start by eliminating all or most of the {Enter} operands. Say adios to "DE". Take the F1 down to 1 CQ on the front and a CQ after the call at the tale end (dont remember what was there, but get rid of it). I noticed Mike K4GMH was sending NO CQ on the front, just "WPX call call CQ"! Awesome!

For the exchange, lose the trailing ! (his call). It's usually unnecessary. Remember you can always pop an F5 in there at the end if you want to send it again due to heavy QRM or pileups or bad timing!

For those of us running two radios, it's important to keep your messages about the same length so that when one is done, you are ready to send the other. Your goal is to be transmitting as close to 100 percent of the time as possible (once you've gotten rid of all the expendable characters). If you are consistantly waiting on one particular canned message, it's too long.

73, Ty K3MM/KF3P

Feb 14, 2011 05:48:15 PM, jjreisert at alum.mit.edu wrote:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Peter Laws N5UWY wrote:

> I still don't get why the issue of making your own macros as efficient
> as possible is a controversial topic. Why *wouldn't* you want to be
> efficient?

Here's one argument. Let's say you are generally weak, and send your
serial number exactly TWICE. The receiving station copies two
different numbers -- not just FIGS/LTRS problems, but actually two
different numbers (like 266 vs. 286). Which one is right? A repeat
is usually called for, wasting time (the "asking" time and the
"answering" time).

Some time Sunday, I decided to send my S/N *three* times while in S/P
mode (I'm running 100W to vertical). Chances are two of the received
numbers will agree. If not, then ask for a repeat. And if you don't
like it, just keep calling CQ and work someone else. If I wanted to
be MOST efficient, I'd only send the serial number ONCE. Then the Rx
station would almost NEVER be sure if it was copied correctly.

Incidentally, this is why the space shuttle and other mission-critical
systems have voting logic with at least three voters. This is my
attempt to model this.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, , http://www.ad1c.us