[RTTY] UR 599 QWI QWI

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Wed Feb 16 00:54:23 PST 2011

John, KK9A, wrote:
> I just operated my second WPX RTTY contest and third RTTY contest ever and
> had a great time on 20m.  On several occasions my MTTY decoder copied the
> serial numbers as letters.  I was able to copy everything else fine during
> these QSO's.  Is there a letter - number conversation chart?  Also after
> reading W0YK's contest summary on using multiple configurations and
> decoders
> , I am wondering if there is a site that would show how to set this up and
> which comercial decoder is the best.   This is my first RTTY post and I
> hope
> that it makes it to the list!

The letters-for-numbers problem is the result of a noise hit on the
number-shift character so that the subsequent character codes are
interpreted in the Letters character set rather than the Numbers character
set.  Just do a Shift-Click of the exchange element and your logger will
convert the letter group to the proper numbers in your log Entry Window.
N1MM Logger also shows both Letters and Numbers character sets of any
mouse-over at the top of the digital window.

The bible of RTTY contesting websites is rttycontesting.com by Don Hill,
AA5AU.  Don discusses decoders there, but most of us feel MMTTY is pretty
good.  The Hal DXP38 is one of the better hardware modems.  Don, I and
others use parallel decoders of different types to increase the probability
of getting clean copy on at least one of them under marginal conditions, so
as to avoid asking for repeats.  Just like antennas, "you can never have too
many decoders".  In my case, I run 4-5 instances of MMTTY, each with a
different set of parameters, each set defined in a "Profile".  In addition,
I always run the DXP38.  This can be a challenge for screen real estate, but
I use a networked PC setup with a PC on each radio.  So, I only have to get
the multiple decoder windows for one radio on each LCD screen.

Welcome to RTTY contesting and the list.  We all appreciate your call in our
log!

Ed - P49X (W0YK)