[RTTY] K or carriage return

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Wed Feb 16 13:44:11 PST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:

> And given that the last model 15 or KSR33 departed the scene decades ago, why aren't we using ASCII, anyway?

Not all software modems can do ASCII Radioteletype.

Most software can, but unfortunately not all of the common ones in use.

Another unfortunate misconception when you mention ASCII is that many people immediately think "110 baud."  But you can use 45.45 baud just as well -- no need for the "Hz counters" to go buy new crystal filters.

When I was helping write the Digital Modes chapter of the 2010 ARRL Handbook, I noticed that the editor had left out ASCII Radioteletype (I only contributed to the RTTY, PSK31 and MFSK16 parts, the larger part of the chapter was written by K7SS).  I asked N0AX if we should include it back in the 2011 Handbook (when I added the DominoEX section) I was told that there is no need since no one uses it.

There are so many advantages of ASCII over Baudot (especially given another round of "what is 599 PQW?" postings) that it is a shame...  But I won't harp on it.

73
Chen, W7AY