[RTTY] Touchscreen possibilities

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Feb 28 12:07:03 PST 2011

Hi all,

I have been thinking about touchscreens since they were mentioned here, and
I am not yet convinced they can play a serious part as yet.
I actually saw one when I purchased a new monitor for home. It was a Sony
21" model, and while it looked very nice, the touchscreen appeared not to be
sensitive enough to "click" on callsigns. It appeared to be more "icon"
driven, in that only specific areas were touchable.
For example, there were icons to touch for accessing photos, music etc, but
as it was a shop model, running their own programs, I didn't play and see if
you could select files from Explorer etc.

So, even if they are/become sufficiently usable to be able to click on
callsigns, is that an advantage, given that most touchscreens so far are
large (most seem to be 21" and above), and of the usual format.
As Chen said, something like the iPad would be neat, but it doesn't yet have
the ability to link in to a PC system and become a "remote" screen.

And, I think I would still want a normal monitor for things like the packet
cluster, bandmap, callchecker and so on.

I guess it is all down to personal preference, and I cannot think of a time
when I wouldn't want the choice of mouse and keyboard.

Interesting debate, and some interesting comments have come out of this!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110228-0, 28/02/2011
Tested on: 28/02/2011 20:07:03