[RTTY] Suggestions for RTTY RU

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Mon Jan 3 16:31:06 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>wrote:

I can think of two reasons why sending DE can help (regardless of the
> WriteLog behavior).  Assume that SO2R is not an issue at this point:

1.  By transmitting more (i.e. sending DE rather than not), you're
> increasing the duty cycle of your transmissions (higher % of key-down
> time).  This increases the chance that someone tuning by will hear a
> signal and stop to find out who it is.

If you want to increase duty cycle, I gently suggest sending something that
contributes to communication.  Instead of DE send CQ or your call.

> 2.  RTTY Skimmer can't be far off.  I believe the software looks for a
> DE preceding the callsign of the transmitting station, otherwise that
> station won't be spotted.  So send DE if you want to be found.

Skimmer does not require DE.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light