[RTTY] [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 20:16:37 PST 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:58:47 +0000, Doug McDuff <w4ox at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>My more specific question then, in light of the discussion, is what
>"suffering" (other than the loss of .167 seconds) am I likely to
>cause if I utilize "DE" in answering a CQ when S&P or in my TU
>message for those using some software other than WriteLog?  My
>apparent "upside" with those using WriteLog is that they will more
>readily copy my call.

REPLY:

It isn't .167 seconds total, it's .167 seconds per character including
the space, or .500 seconds for DE<space>. Over the course of a contest
it adds up to a surprising number of minutes.

I'm not a WriteLog user but my understanding is that the DE serves only
to highlight the call, right? Without the DE the call is still there and
clickable. To me the time saved is more important than having a
highlighted call which is clearly visible anyway. I realize opinions
will differ but time is more valuable than convenience, IMO.

73, Bill W6WRT