[RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 97, Issue 5

Michael Haack mikehaack at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 13:53:27 PST 2011

  Technician license aside....

If you look at 97.119  it reads: "Each amateur station, except a space
station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on
its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least
every 10 minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly
making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those
receiving the transmissions."

The "for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions
from the station known to those receiving the transmissions" being of
interest here.
In a stream of callsigns "DE" would serve to indicate the station of origin.

Other then simply transmitting your call in the required emission, there
is nothing in part 97.119 that requires the specfic "DE"
You could as easily use,   AA5AU from WB9B,  As long as the origin of
the signal is clearly stated.

As for DE...
I will continue to use it, Simply because it works.... And I'm
accustomed to look for it.

73 DE MIKE WB9B