[RTTY] who understands rtty code, strange thing happening, same characters always dropped

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jan 7 08:07:09 PST 2011

 >> A, C, D, E, F, I, J, K, R and U, and 3, 4, 7, 8,

All of these characters either start or stop with a space (I has
seen them listed both ways in code tables and can't track down a
definitive "Bit order" - Chen?).  There are two other "printing"
characters with the same attribute (N and S).

In the FT-920 "space" is FSK line open, mark is FSK line pulled
low (to ground).  I would suspect a problem in the FT-920 ...
perhaps a pull-up issue.

 > Maybe something went nuts in the lookup table which stores the
 > actual code pattern transmitted for each character.

microKEYER does not use a "lookup table" - it implements a UART.
Since the report is the same issue when changing microKEYERs, I
think one can safely eliminate both the software and interface.

I'd suggest bypassing the FSK circuit in the FT-920 and going to
AFSK.  Yaesu's Application Note on Digital modes with the FT-920
has been sent direct to avoid the attachment issues with Mailman.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV